Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Flower Through the Rock

Though this song was originally intended to be a romantic song from a Korean Drama, the moment I heard it... I was amazed how it captured the exact complexities of adoption and orphan care. 

Whether you bonded with your child instantly, 
(did you come to me through the wind?)

or pray and rejoice in every small smile from your child who suffers from years of institutional neglect 
(Even if there is no warm touch or longing look, like a flower that blooms through a rock)

or you remember the faces of children you were not able to bring home.
(But I can’t approach or get farther from you, so I’m just crying).

The children for whom we are waiting to come home and as we wait the love grows 
(I guess it grows on its own I’m talking about my feelings for you)

the tears that come, looking at the photo of your child, on the other side of the world 
(Because I can only look at you)

the pain of knowing you can't change their past of growing up unwanted, neglected..
(Because I can’t touch your hurting places)

days when your heart is burdened for all of the 156 million orphans in the world
(I told myself no and tried to fix my heart today)

and the heartbreaking news that a child you love has aged out or passed away...
(I tell myself no and erase your name a thousand times, I tell myself no and write it a thousand times again)

When this happens, we continue to advocate. All the orphans we have loved are gathered in our hearts and urge us forward with hope for the next.
(It comes back, it comes back, you’re always in front of me)


I encourage you to play this beautiful song as you take the time to look through the pictures below. Some of these children have aged out, some are part my family's own adoption story, and some are still waiting for families... 




Flower Through the Rock (by A Li) ~ Video: Credit to Owner
I guess it grows on its own
I’m talking about my feelings for you





Even if there is no warm touch or longing look
Like a flower that blooms through a rock




I can’t do anything
Because tears come when I see you
Because I can’t touch your hurting places

Because I can only look at you


I told myself no and turned my head yesterday
I told myself no and tried to fix my heart today




OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo Credit: Reece's Rainbow


No matter how much I tell myself and erase your name
It comes back, it comes back, you’re always in front of me




Did you come to me through the wind?
Your scent is so thick




But I can’t approach or get farther from you
So I’m just crying





I told myself no and turned my head yesterday
I told myself no and tried to fix my heart today
No matter how much I tell myself and erase your name
It comes back, it comes back, you’re always in front of me





If I put you in my heart
Even my tears shine, do you know?



Y1999
Photo Credit: Reece's Rainbow
Although I love you...
I tell myself no and erase your name a thousand times
I tell myself no and write it a thousand times again
I know it can’t be but if it’s not you
To me, no one else can be my love

Isolde2
Photo Credit: Reece's Rainbow
In Honor of "Isolde" who first opened my heart to the plight
of aging out orphans - and who lit a spark that lasts today.

Note: The children who have Ting Ministries symbols on their pictures are listed on Ting Ministries' Child Waiting Child Advocacy page. Please contact Ting Ministries for more information. 





No comments:

Post a Comment